Once you’ve decided to put new hardwood floors in your New York home, there are some things you need to do to prepare for installation. At Hardwood Perfect Flooring, we want the process to be as simple and easy as possible, and by properly preparing the room or rooms that will be getting new floors, installation can be a cinch. We’ve put new hardwood into homes of all sizes and designs, and understand how to make your floors look amazing.
Getting Everyone and Everything Ready
There are a few things you can do to make hardwood floor installation go quickly and smoothly.
- Have your family ready to avoid walking on the new floors for two to four days (or more). It’s possible you may need to stay with friends or relatives, or rent a hotel room for a few nights while your hardwood floors dry. You don’t want to walk on the floors too soon after installation, as this can mark them up and possibly ruin them.
- Make sure your pets have a place to go. Your family members aren’t the only ones who will need to stay off the floors for a few days. Claws and nails can easily scratch new floors, and the fumes from the stain can be hazardous to birds and other pets kept in cages. Arrange for your animal friends to be housed elsewhere following installation.
- Move all furniture out of the room. It might seem obvious, but we’ll need complete access to the entire floor in the rooms where we’re working. Couches, chairs, and tables will need to be moved, as well as window treatments and any appliances you don’t want to get dusty.
- Tape cabinets and cupboards closed. This will help keep dust and debris out of your spaces where dishes, clothes, and other items are stored. Obviously these things can’t be moved, and we’ll do our best to avoid them.
- Large appliances such as dishwashers and refrigerators don’t usually have to be moved, unless new flooring needs to be installed where they sit. We’ll discuss the best approach for your large appliances and what needs to be done with them, if anything.
It might seem like a lot at first, but properly preparing for hardwood flooring installation will make the entire process quicker and less stressful. When you return home, you’ll come back to new, beautiful floors that will last for years to come. We will walk you through the appropriate steps for putting furniture and appliances back into the room, and when it’s safe to let pets and people use the space. We’ll also discuss the best care methods for your new floors, and how you can keep them looking like new long after we’ve installed them.
When you need hardwood flooring in New York, contact us right away. If you have any questions or concerns after we’ve finished the installation, we’ll be more than happy to help. We look forward to speaking with you and discussing your new flooring project!